Saturday, May 30, 2015

Eco -Art and Glass Fusing for your Viewing Enjoyment...and Art For Nepal

Hello Folks...Once again it has been way too long since I have posted. I have been busy with my after school classes and exploring new opportunities. Over the year I have collected lots of photos of new work and I also have some updates I would like to share with you!
But first... Art For Nepal! My last fusing class made a beautiful  platter with the intention of selling it and then donating the money to charity. Given the tragic circumstances that the Nepal Earthquake has caused, we decided to focus on Nepal. I found a wonderful registered non-profit -based in Nepal- NEPAL FREED,  and they are also partnered with the non-profit Cross Cultural Journeys based in Northern California and are doing great work to help communities in Nepal. They are focused on children and education and also do much, much more. Click on the link for more information.
The platter can be found on my Etsy shop- I will post a picture here as well.

The Platter is  unique, colorful, beautiful and functional. Eight of my students from Vallecito Elementary (7-9 yrs old) and my lovely helper for the day, Deanne Wilson, each created a wonderful design on a glass tile which I then fused onto clear glass and then slumped in the kiln to create the Platter. This collaborative effort, -'art for good' -in the classroom adds such a positive dimension to the already great creative vibe flowing in our workshops. I intend to keep that going in all my classes, Giving children opportunities to open their hearts up to world, in communities great and small, I think, is one of the essential keyes to helping our world heal and grow in ways that honor life. Community art builds connection and I love to witness that in my workshops.

student working on her tile



Silly time- Wrapping it up-end of  glass fusing workshops.
Was looking for feedback and  I got it!!LOL






















THE LAST FEW MONTHS I HAVE DIVED DEEPER INTO  ECO-ART AND EVEN HAD A LITTLE SHOW LAST NOVEMBER....PEACE, LOVE AND UPCYCLING-- THIS SHOW WAS ALSO A SHOWCASE FOR SOME OF MY STUDENTS ECO ART.. PLASTIC BOTTLES TRANSFORMED INTO BANKS -WHICH ARE AWESOME.
THE SHOW WAS HELD AT GREEN CITIZEN RECYCLING CENTER IN BERKELEY. THERE IS ALSO ONE IN SAN RAFAEL. BRING YOUR ELECTRONICS RECYCLING THERE! THEY RECYCLE AND UP-CYCLE RESPONSIBLY AND ONLY LOCALLY(NO SHIPPING OVERSEAS TO BE DUMPED IN LANDFILL) Check out some photos from this event...

Peace, Love and Upcycling


Symbols of peace and love were at the heart of this show which was about creating art for healing and peace. Imagining peace symbols and developing art and structures that shine light on peace and feelings of love and understanding was my deepest intention. This call and response to the beauty and turmoil of our time was the inspiration for the art work in this show.
student banks..

show mascot- The lovebot! by Nikki Contini


paper towel rolls, caps, bread ties, plastic netting..
peace,love and upcycling

setting up for the show- feeling happy

coiled pape, caps, plastic netting, light bulb, vintage frame
More pieces from the show..

old medicine cabinet and plastic caps

collage, coiled paper, marker caps
old tape rolls

bottle cap mosaic

old medicine cabinet door- bottle caps, glitter

Peace Collage


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had such a great time preparing for the show and exploring the many ways I might use the materials I had to work with. Endless configurations...I have become quite the collector of 'trash', discarded items and odds and ends- my studio is overflowing. One thing for sure.... 'stuff' just keeps coming. What an awareness builder for me!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHAT ELSE IS NEW??..I HAVE BEGUN A TRAINING TO DO ART WORK WITH SENIORS  EXPERIENCING MEMORY LOSS AND DEMENTIA... I am completing a 10 hour training with hands on activities working with seniors. I have been doing my training at Senior Access  an awesome social club for folks with memory loss and dementia located in San Rafael.More on this later..but I am hoping to begin workshops soon! 

 We communicate with ourselves through art (in its many forms) and we also create to connect with others. Creative expression is a vital and essential part of our human experience and as we age and perhaps enter the forgetful realm, the thought of losing the 'juice' and or opportunity of creative expression is quite a loss. I hope to bring some of that 'juice' back for however long it lasts. Studies show that making art does indeed, positively impact quality of life and sense of purpose with those experiencing memory loss and beyond.
__________________________________________________
Lastly...I am posting some pics of student work from Coleman Elementary and Vallecito this past Spring....
egg carton owl

totem like mask- wine packaging

cork bride and groom- pop the champagne

from plastic bottle to unicorn

cork horse- on guard!

cap face

amazing elephant - plastic bottle and paper towel roll

shoe box or home???

I am planning to begin classes again in the fall- look for a new post with dates in the next few weeks.
Contact me if you want to do something over the summer- aglass party or eco art- birthdays, ladies night, work party etc..! 

Have a great Summer!!!!


2 comments:

  1. everything looks so great. love the platter. didn't know about Senior Access, so looking forward to hearing more about that. Well done, busy bee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. super nice stuff, nikki, and you have so much energy ! way to go ! David

    ReplyDelete